Saturday, April 28, 2012

Rock Cut State Park and the Duathlon 2012

As I embarked on my first ever Duathlon today I was nervous and excited all at the same time.  I have been training for the Soldier Field 10 miler for many weeks now and my long run is up to 8 miles now.  We have been cross training about 5-6 biking miles per week and have done some fun 10 milers now and then.  Well today was a 2 mile train run, 14 mile (3 loop) bike, and repeat the 2 mile train run for a total of 18 miles. 

Today proved to be one of the hardest races I have completed to this date.  We got there about an hour prior to the race, checked in and set up our bikes.  Most bikes were road bikes, but registration said any bike was welcome, to which we thought our Hybrids would be fine.  It was raining and very windy and cold, so we went back to wait in the car.  I made myself eat the rest of my protein bar but I wasn't hungry.  At about 8:45 we started warming up and heading to the start line.  There was only about 80 people racing and all of them looked like bikers I was intimidated.  At the start they gave us our directions of how many times to do each leg and where the slippery spots were.

Then it was time to run.

HILL PROOF!!!!
I kept a pretty good trail running pace of 9:36 per mile for the 2 mile up and down muddy trail.  I felt really fresh heading into the transition area. Took me a few extra seconds to snap my helmet with my gloves on, but then I was off.  As I headed out I felt good, I have a fair number of people near me and the road didn't seem to slick.  Then the fun of the hills began.  The first lap around the bike leg was nearly impossible to pedal without standing at some points.  My quads were on fire.  Those road bikes just kept flying by, but I kept pedaling.  About 3 miles into the bike I thought what have I got myself into.  I had no music on today, and not really anyone near me so I began to talk, sing, curse, anything really to keep my focused.  Up until today I am always pretty confident in my running, but this bike race proved to be a challenge for me.  Lap 2 was the best of the three.  I knew what the expect and had an easier time maneuvering.  Then began the last leg.  As everyone was taking off back to the run (or so it seemed) I headed out for my last lap.  I felt like I was the end of the race.  Then in the far back I heard someone pedaling.  She too had a hybrid bike and struggled on the hills.  This year although at the time didn't know it motivated me to finish.  She managed to pass me, but I never let her out of my eye sight.  She helped me push my legs up those last few hills that I never thought I'd make it up.

As I exited the laps and rode back up the transition there was one last hill that I forgot about and I went into a standing pedal without shifting down and tried to shift while standing and I nearly wiped out.  I gained my composure and headed into the bike racks.  I did have to pause for a drink of water and then I was off.  2 more miles of running on those damn hills.  As I took off I felt like my feet were three sizes smaller than my shoes.  It felt like my shoes were going to fall off.  They didn't and eventually I started running ok.  My pace was pretty high up to like 11:27.  I didn't care I was going to finish.  During this last part I started to think about the marathon and our training.  I started thinking about how thankful I am that I can do things like this.  This really pushed me out of my comfort zone.  As I came out of the woods into the prairie grass to finish I magically saw about 10 other runners still out there.  Suddenly it was more than just me and that girl I had been following.  I saw my husband just up the last hill he was waving me on.  I know he was nervous because he is much more speedy on the bike than me and he said it was tough for him.

As I neared the finish line I saw the time....I was going to be in just under 2 hours.  My time was 1:56 something.  I found the water I needed parked my bike and felt so proud.  I was in no pain, I had FINISHED!

This was seriously harder mentally than running my half marathon.  This was one of the most rewarding experiences I have competed in.  Since I was so close to the end we stayed for awards.  I was feeling a little bummed because the Athena division I would have placed, but I registered in my age division.  Well a few minutes into the awards I realized I got 2ND in my age division!!!!  After walking back to the car with my medal a few tears fell.  It was funny about 3/4th of the way through the bike I thought to myself we deserve a medal for doing this today....well there was my MEDAL!

It is now many hours passed since the race and I am feel really good.  No pain, just sore quads.  Tomorrow is a rest day from running and we play volleyball on our league.

With my bling after the race

My Amazing Husband




3 comments:

  1. Great job! I have completed a few duathlons over the past few years...they are so hard! They are also a lot of fun. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! Way to go on 2nd in your division :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Amanda! This was fantastic to read. Sounds like such a hard course and tough conditions but you pushed through! I've wanted to do a du for years now but still haven't had the nerve with the whole bike thing. I keep telling myself this is the year.

    ReplyDelete