Sunday, August 5, 2012

Training with an injury and all the fun that goes with that!

The night of the half marathon I could tell I was in trouble.  I never have any injuries that last longer than a few hours when I run.  Mostly just tightness, but Sunday  night my foot still hurt pretty bad when I walked.  The tendon under my arch going up to the side of my foot is where the pain was stemming from.  We took two days off with ice and advil and I figured I'd be fine.  We were half way through our marathon training this couldn't be happening right now could it!?  By Wednesday I thought I could give it a try.  I had missed one run and I couldn't miss another.  As we headed out as soon as I put my running shoes on I could feel the pain.  Now I had to decided, run through the pain or rest.  If I was in a race, I'd have opted for running in the pain it wasn't that bad, but I have 9 more weeks until the Marathon and I can't afford a nagging injury.  I opted for a bike ride while my husband ran.  I fought the tears back and told myself my body needed rest.  It was about this time my body starting saying YES you do.  My monthly cycle decided to skip, which was not a fun time to be thinking ummm WHAT.....add in my foot and my thoughts of I might not be able to make it through marathon training and then....sniffle sniffle I was getting SICK!  I haven't been sick in some time......!!!  Looking back I chalk it all up to the stress and pressure I had on my body as the runs and heat started to mount.  I took more time off and tried the elliptical at the gym.  I had a bit of foot pain, but pushed through it.   The next week I decreased my training runs to half of where they had been and used the treadmill exclusively.  So I've lost a bit in the week I didn't run and the week of going 1/2 power, but it had to be done.  My cycle started again (thank god) and my cold is gone.  So today instead of a 12 miler like my plan says we did a 8 miler.  I feel great!  I know it will be hard week coming up as I up it back up to probably 80 to 90% of the training and then head into a 14 miler next Saturday, which will be my farthest run to date!

I got over feeling sorry for myself and just chalked it up to a bump in the training that will just make me stronger when it comes to the day of hitting the 26.2 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment