Sunday, September 30, 2012

26.2 Miles and What Each One Means to Me!


Each mile I run I will dedicate/honor/thank people/things that I am running it for on October 7th, 2012

Mile 1 is for god/universe. By allowing my body the strength to start this journey. Sometimes that first step is the hardest one to take. Only 2 years ago I dreamed of the day I "might" be able to run the Chicago Marathon....it is almost a reality!

I will run mile 2 for my husband and training partner. Each day, week, and run he pushed me, supported me, helped me to become a better runner and person. Together I know we can accomplish anything.

I run mile 3 for the invention/creators of Couch 2 - 5K. My first 5k was just a dream two years ago. I started c25k to run for 30 nonstop minutes. Without this foundation to get through these first 3 miles I would not be where I am today!

I run mile 4 for my parents. Without them I'd never become the person I am today. The sacrifices they make daily to always make sure Annie is always taken care of are a selfless act that many people couldn't do. You amaze me and thank you for being wonderful parents. I love you both!

I run mile 5 for my grandmas. They always support me and cheer for me even if they don't understand what the Heck a marathon is. I have a special great grandma angel helping me now, I miss and love you, Mema!
I will run mile 6 for my sister Annie. I run this mile because she can't. I know if she could she would run all 26.2 with me. I love her so much and am glad she is my sister.

I run mile 7 for my brother Adam. No one else gets me the way he does. We can find humor in anything and normally do. You have provided me with a lifetime of inside jokes. Who else understands why 7up is an extra or why the stamp collector is hilarious! When I get to mile 7 I will yell, 'Whooo, I hope I don't poop my pants!!!'

I run mile 8 for my two rockstar nephews Nicholas and Bryant. I want to inspire them to always do their best in life and reach for their dreams. I know when I get my finisher medal Nicholas will cheer for me thinking I won the race!!!!

I run mile 9 for the rest of my family. Your kind words, your thoughts, and advice. Each of you have a special part of me being on that starting line. Thank you!

I run mile 10 for my running friends. Blisters, missing toenails, where the best paths are, what to expect on race day, and on and on... I am so grateful to each and everyone of you for your advice, inspiration, and encouragement!!!

 I run mile 11 for my friends. You may not be a runner, but you have listened to me vent about that crazy long run or that awesome race I had. You smiled and called me CRAZY or just laughed, but you are part of this journey too! Thank you!!!

I will run mile 12 for my students. They are probably tired of me talking about running, but if I can instill a love of physical activity and healthy eating early they will be happy by the time they are my age!

I will run mile 13 also known as the halfway point for my friend Ashley. She was the one who got me hooked on running races! She was with my at my first 5k and she is the one who decided to run that first 1/2 marathon! There is no way I would have followed through with this without her! I will never forget trying to get back to the hotel after the 1/2....I didn't think we were going to make it! Thank you Ashley!!

I run mile 14 for anytime fitness and my friend Pamela. Anytime provided me a play to run due to being out of town, bad weather. I also found a friendly face who has continued to help motivate me into a marathon runner! Thank you!!!!!


I run mile 15 for all my loved ones that I have lost. They are watching me from heaven. I know they have been with me through all of life's ups and downs. I have talked to them many times on those long runs and they always help me great through it. Missing you....

I run mile 16 for all the people on the social networks that keep me motivated. I may not have ever met you in person, but your tips, advice, motivation, silly comments, or sharing in the journey of running your own marathon on twitter, fb, running message boards etc. keep me going! Thank you :)

I run mile 17 for the spectators. This is the part of the run that starts to get harder. The people with the cowbells and the funny signs really do help. The ones that makes you laugh are the best. The high fives and the pats on the back really do help you to just keep running!!!!

I will run mile 18 for all the people who ever volunteered for a race. The time you give up to set up barricades, fill cups, pass out ice, pick up the cups, and hand us that magically cup of water. By mile 18 I will have passed so many of you. Know I appreciate that smile when you hand me that water!!!!

I will run mile 19 for Hal Higdon!!! He provided the plan for my first half marathon last year, then I followed that up with his Marathon training for beginners. He writes his plans and tips perfectly. Everything he said that would happen has and I feel confident going into the race on Sunday....ONE WEEK! His tweets and facebook posts feel as if he is speaking right to me. I really am appreciative to this Man! Thank you Mr. Higdon!


I run mile 20 for all those other runners. The one who just started running all the way to the one who have done this 100 times. Each one has helped motivate me. Just when I feel like I want to stop I see someone worse off than me still running. One day at the end of a long run I was struggling to finish. We get to the end and a guy comes up behind us huffing and puffing and goes dang you guys are fast I was trying to catch you.... It struck me that even in my slow struggling pace I was still pushing someone else. Runners also pass me and the kind nod or the good morning wave really make me smile. Thank you!!!

I run mile 21 as the crazy cat lady, therefore I run this mile for Jaiden and Lombardi my cats. The power of visualization is strong and by this mile I am going to picture myself at home on the couch with my cats cuddled up to me recovering from this race! They always watch for us when we go run and they always help welcome us home. They probably think we are crazy too.

I run mile 22 for all those training runs. The ones at 4am to avoid the heat but saw the moon set and the sun rise...., the ones at 8 pm where the sunset because life is busy. The long run that was a challenge and will help me on Sunday when things get real.... The trial with gels, with water breaks, and the bond that has grown between my husband and I. The actual journey to get here has been tough, but I'm grateful I have almost made it...thank you all! :)

I run mile 23 for the power of believing (the secret). Once I get this far it is all about believing that the finish line is only 3.2 miles away. Believing that I had the courage to start this journey, believing in myself that I could follow through with this commitment that has been months in the making. I run this mile believing that I will be crossing the finish line all I have to do is receive it. That is the law of attraction, ask, believe, and receive! :)

I will run mile 24 for all the people who didn't think I could. Those people who think....I'm crazy, who think a girl like me wouldn't be able to run a marathon. I'm ready to prove them wrong. I'm ready to RUN CHICAGO!!! :) Thanks for fueling my fire because I know I can do this!

I run mile 25 for the runner's high. All the hardwork, sore muscles, long runs, sweat, and determination to complete a goal that seemed unreachable at one point. That feeling that everyone says you will never forget the feeling of crossing the finish line of your first marathon. Heading to Chicago in the morning for final prep! Can't wait to see my friends cheering me on and thank you all for your kind words and support!!!!

I run the rest of the 26.2 miles for myself. This journey has taught me so much. I'm ready for tomorrow. I'm ready for the reward of all this training! Thank you for all your kind words and texts! "A marathoner is a marathoner regardless of time. Virtually everyone who tries the marathon has put in training over months, and it is that exercise and that commitment, physical and mental, that gives meaning to the medal, not just the day’s effort, be it fast or slow. It's all in conquering the challenge." - Wittenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment