Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My 20 Miler....20 MILES! :) Let the TAPER Begin!

We decided to run our last long run with a organized training run.  It was presented by CARA, the Chicago Area Runners Association called the Newton Ready to Run 20 Miler.  It was not a closed course and was run down the lake path near Lake Michigan.   We decided on this run because it would have water stations and just seemed like a fun way to wrap up our long training runs.


Here I am wondering if I'm really going to be able to run 20 miles!!!  It was great to be surrounded by people who would be running a marathon soon as well.  I just love being surrounded by runners.  Everyone is always so supportive.

Our pace group as we near the start line.  We were wave 66, and they let waves go every 30 seconds.

The race was very smooth and enjoyable.  The only real rough stuff was when the temps started to climb.  They moved the course from green to yellow about half way through.  If we had been running at home we could have started about 2 hours prior to this race's starting time, but it all worked out.


 In the end I was very proud of myself and I am confident that I'm ready for the marathon.  6.2 more miles will not be a walk in the park, but with all the spectators I'm sure I will be emotional, but ready for the medal.  This has been a great learning experience and I am so grateful I have had the chance to actually do this.  I have needed the help of so many people to get me here.  The feelings are amazing.  I feel so blessed.  All the problems that were minor along the way are not really and issue anymore.  My feet feel great, my blisters are healed, my toenails are growing back.  My body will be refreshed and stronger on Oct 7th as we toe that line and great ready to RUN CHICAGO!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment